Wednesday, July 05, 2006

this week

There is an older couple who come sit outside the coffee shop every once in a while. The man is blind; the lady reads him a devotional and they sit and talk for a while. I just thought it was the sweetest thing.

The coffee shop where I work is owned by a church/ministry. I haven't actually been to the church yet. It's very different from what I'm used to; even at work I've been out of my comfort zone a few times, not that that's a bad thing at all. Today the pastr came in for quite a while and some kids were there hanging out so they were all talking. Pastor Steve decided we should all pray, and we did it in a way I don't think I've ever done it before. He just asked us to think about what was going on in our lives, and then to believe that God would take care of it. After a minute he prayed aloud and thanked God for taking care of it. I liked that.

I can't help but think that the world would be a completely different place if only christians would believe that what they ask of God will be answered. I can't think of any place in the Bible where someone prayed that they would see God's will. There probably are several that do, but it seems like more often than not they already knew God's will.

We went to Williams for the fourth of July. The parade was very long this year. It started off with the now traditional skydivers (4 this year) which was pretty fun, and then the procession began. There was something new this year: the classic tractors association. About 20 tractors (20!) rolled past us at a rate of 2 miles an hour... oy. And what's really funny about that is Williams is not even close to being a farming type place. The other outstanding thing in the parade, the Dancing Grannies. Yes, they are grannies, and they dance (while wearing costumes). pretty much fantastic.

After the parade we had dinner (at the newly remodeled Pine Country) and of course we had their world-famous pie as well. Then we walked around downtown for a little while, and stopped in at Scott's camera place to see Buff. You may remember my blog about Buff the mayoral candidate. He now has his own shirts, and a local artist painted a portait of him in a suit. Buff is a dog. (people in town are rather cynical about the small town politics there...)

No comments: