Monday, June 25, 2007

star gazing

"And a single heart burst into flight
And in the East the whole horizon is in flames,
I feel the thunder in the sky
I see the sky about to rain
And with the prairies I am calling out your name." -Rich Mullins

I've been on a Rich Mullins kick this last week. Downtown this weekend we watched a a guy playing a beautiful hammered dulcimer alongside a gal with a violin. A little bit down from him a few men had set up their telescopes for people to enjoy, so after dulcimer guy was done we enjoyed some star-gazing and star-talk. One telescope was focused on the moon, it was incredible to see all the detail, the craters and what looked like plateaus, etc, on a huge body so far away. One of the men had a homemade telescope carved out of rich wood.. he told us some people even make their own mirrors.

I think I'd heard this before, but had forgotten that the light from the stars takes so long to get here. We were looking at Jupiter, the light from which takes about 15 minutes to get here. A star close to Jupiter takes years to travel here. It's like looking into the past.

God has made such an intricate universe.

I started my flower garden, and I was looking at the different colors and shapes of the flowers just amazed at the creativity and beauty of it all. In a flower there are colors and shapes and smells all blended together to make bring something of beauty into the world. The wildflowers on the mountains that no one will ever see exist because God is a God of Beauty and has to show it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The hawk....it's a hawk

And the single hawk bursts into flight
And in the east the whole horizon is in flames
I feel thunder in the sky
I see the sky about to rain
And I hear the prairies calling out Your name

Thanks for being with us this weekend! Love you!