Wednesday, June 13, 2007

If I only had a brain

*Sitting outside my back door with my toes in the sand enjoying the perfect weather and the sunset*

I have found a new love. Ultimate frisbee. Or anything involving a frisbee. I found out I could catch and throw the thing (a small accomplishment for some with normal coordination abilities, but for me quite a thrill).

I also played softball on Sunday, a friend needed an extra girl on her team to qualify to play (I guess for co-ed teams there needs to be a certain number of guys and girls). I think maybe God is trying to teach me something. Facing fears? Getting out of comfort zones? FIrst bouldering. Then sports, and in front of people I'd never met. But, I actually didn't do too badly at either one. There may have been people on the team who were just as bad as me, which made it fun.

I bought the movie Freedom Writers a couple days ago. Itis a really good one, you should watch it if you get the chance. It's about a teacher in a bad part of L.A. who learns to love and help a bunch of gang-banging, hurting kids. Neither her father nor her husband can understand why she would be willing to give these kids her time. It grates against my nerves, to hear people say we shouldn't care for others, as if our time is better spent on ourselves and ambitious careers.

There is a new property manager at work who seems to have made it his goal in life to convert me to republicanism and the "ladder of success". Oh man, he knows just how to get me going too. Silence is wise and fools open their mouths too quickly so I don't try to argue, not much anyways... It's all in good fun, but just the same, he represents so much of the world, one that doesn't care, and one that I'm fighting against.

They say if you're not a democrat in college you have no heart but if you're not a republican at 30 you have no brain. Well I'm not so sure how much truth can be found in that, but we need both. The scare crow and the tin man did nothing before they worked together, just sat around collecting rust.

Knowledge needs a heart, and the heart needs wisdom, but I can't make someone value what I do.

The book I'm reading now, Daniel Deronda still, poses the question What is real progress? Progress can only be defined by what one values and in a world subscribing so thoroughly to relativity, where is the defining line? No where but the Word, which places all value on Love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet in the end, "you'll find you had the brain all along" heh..

Susannah said...

Hi! Just cruising around your site for the first time today. I see you're studying social work--a much-needed profession. The world is crying out for people like you! This is a very interesting thought:

They say if you're not a democrat in college you have no heart but if you're not a republican at 30 you have no brain. Well I'm not so sure how much truth can be found in that, but we need both. The scare crow and the tin man did nothing before they worked together, just sat around collecting rust.

Knowledge needs a heart, and the heart needs wisdom, but I can't make someone value what I do.


Unfortunately, you will never get rich working with people, just as SAHM's and child care providers are the lowest on the pay scale. As you know, the payback comes in other ways. (I'm reminded of Paul's admonitions to Timothy.)

I encourage you to stay the course, and fulfill your calling. Be cheered! Hugs 'n prayers, e-Mom