Saturday, September 23, 2006

Aesthetic Beautiful Truth

My mom just posted an old blog on reflection. Here is mine...

I think refection occurs often for me when I see/hear/smell etc something God has made to be beautiful. Aesthetic beauty if you will. I was at a concert this week listening to voices that God made to be beautiful (Brandon Heath! Aaron Shust, and Bebo Norman), but that was not what caused me to "reflect" or maybe a better word, To stop. To listen. To rejoice. I also think that Truth can be aesthetically beautiful, and that is a most powerful thing.

We hear truth a lot, but usually it has been watered down or smothered in doctrine. When truth is spoken in simple and clear ways, it becomes a hammer to strike at our hearts like a hammer hitting a gong to awaken the people. To call them to the meal. In Old Testament times, to share a meal with someone was to commit yourself to them. Well we who are God's have already been committed, and the supper lays waiting at the table. It's like we've walked away in the middle of the main course and left the food half eaten. The gong is to bring us back. I digress lol.

Bebo Norman was sharing with us an experience he had while in Africa on a trip with Compassion International. He and a few other Americans were visiting some of the families being sponsored. They met this one family living in a hut made of dung and straw. They were talking with the father of the family (through an interpreter) and asking him questions. One of the Americans asked him this question, "If you could have one thing from God to give to your family, what would that be?" Well, the man sat and thought. And he sat and he thought. This went on for quite a while; to the point where the group was rather uncomfortable with the silence. And then, the man lifts his head up, and he gives his answer. "You see, that tree right there? That tree grows fruit which my family eats. This hut, this is where my family sleeps at night. If you walk, down there a ways, there is a river where my family gets water to drink. And this is our goat, from the Compassion International, and from it we get milk for the children. Because of my sponsored child, we have come to know Jesus. You ask me what more I want? But I say we have all we need."

Hmm.. If someone were to ask me that same question... I'd be embarrased to write all the responses I could come up with in 1 minute. but that was a slight digression as well.

The singer went on to say, so rightly, that it is NOT the job of the government to feed and clothe the poor, the hungry. It is OUR responsibility. Ours. God gave it to us, and what have we (yes, we) done with it? I can tell you what I've done with it. I've ignored it. I've excused it away. I've heard christians say (on the radio or somewhere, not talking about people I know) that if God blesses you with this or that (unnecessary) thing, thank him for it and don't be ashamed. But is that true, or is it a feel good philosophy? I'm not saying we need to be Franciscans, but really, do I need the closet full of things when a child is dying at this moment of malnutrition? That, to me, is sickening. It is the responsibility of God's people to help those in need of it. James 1:27. So that was my aesthetic beautiful truth.

Even when truth is stepping on my toes it does make me stop, listen, and rejoice. God called us first to love Him, and second to love people. I don't think I'm doing it. It almost makes me wish I'd been born in that hut that I might appreciate God and blessings as I should. Well, I wasn't born there. I was born in America, our modern day Babylon. I've been infiltrated and brainwashed with the self-serving mentality and I've succumbed to it. Hmm.

Well, tomorrow is another day to live and work. And I'm going to live in it. Sooo I'm going to sleep. I hope this isn't a guilt trip thing. I didn' t mean for it to be, but it struck me, so I needed to get it out. Hold me accountable to what I say (even thought I won't want you to lol). And I am serious, and I think that this is a tragic problem that needs to be fixed. And there you have it, I promise not to keep going now. Pastor's daughter, remember? (I like it when you go on though dad, I do!) Ok good night!

No comments: